Wednesday, February 28, 2018

It's Somebunny's Birthday

And we are celebrating here on the Eyelet Outlet Blog! Hi guys, it's Lauren again, with a couple of uber-cute birthday cards featuring loads of super-fun Eyelet Outlet birthday-themed brads!


Before we get to the cards, I want to answer the question I get asked the most when I put oversized Eye Glass Brads on an undersized critter, "How do you get those to stay on?" It's actually really easy, you just have to plan ahead a tiny bit. Set the brads BEFORE you cut out the bunny... (who's from a stamp set called Holiday Pals by Pretty Pink Posh) ...and cut out AROUND the glasses, so they're supported by the "extra" cardstock that you've left intact. In the case of the rectangular glasses, I left the area inside the frames white. Since the round glasses show a bit more background, after I chose my patterned paper, I took a soft blue brush marker and tinted the area around bunny's head to make it coordinate and thus disappear.


Oh and one more trick: sometimes I bend the prongs of a brad INWARD instead of outward; they grip the paper equally well but take up less space. So now you know!


For the first version, I went vertical with my A2 card and added the Party HatCake and Candle Brads in little thought bubbles I cut from colorful paper scraps. Once again, to make them fit *perfectly* I set the brads before I drew the thought bubbles, then cut out neatly around them. My sentiment is made with my trusty Dymo labelmaker; I trimmed the labels slightly and stacked them to balance the design.


On my second card, I went horizontal, and changed the wording of the sentiment slightly to make the label portion of it fit on the inset 5.25 x 4" panel of my card. Then I added "Somebunny" in glittery alphabet stickers and assembled my birthday thought bubbles which this time include a Cupcake, a Birthday Sock Monkey and a Heart Brad. On both cards I "connected" the thoughts to the bunny via tiny 1/16" Mini Round Brads, which come in a variety of pretty colors.


Of course this idea would work really well for practically ANY occasion, with a variety of critters wearing all sorts of accessories! I hope you'll be inspired to make your own version using your favorite Eyelet Outlet Brads... and be sure to tag me so I can come and see it! ♥

automatically loves any occasion 
that involves CAKE!

2 comments: