Wednesday, February 7, 2018

Sew Far, Sew Good

I (Laurencome from a family of quilters. And I think, secretly, my mother was a tiny bit disappointed when I grew up and showed no interest at all in sewing. Until, that is, I discovered papercrafting; because whereas I still have no interest in sewing fabric, I love to sew on paper... especially cards! And what could possibly enhance a sewn card more than Eyelet Outlet Thread BradsScissor Brads, and Tape Measure Washi?


I started by formatting a sentiment (using free fonts called Vogue and Mom's Typewriter) in just the right size to fit within my favorite heart punch. I traced around the heart shape very lightly in pencil to give myself a guide, then machine-stitched around it using the highest number of stitches per inch possible on my machine. I used white, pink and blue thread because they were the closest color matches to the spools in the Thread Brad set, which also contains a pretty bright green and black, as well. When my stitching was complete, I set my thread spools at one end, and a Scissor Brad at the other, then added my heart shaped sentiment inside the stitched frame.


I was happy with how my first card came out, but the other sewing themed item I wanted to use was our Tape Measure Washi, which just didn't work for that design. So for my second card, I traced the heart again, but simplified my swirly thread line a bit, and stuck with just one black Thread Brad. This time I punched a heart from plain white cardstock, then covered it with strips of tape, without bothering to line them up at all... I wanted it to look like a measuring tape that's just been thrown, mid-use, into the bottom of one's sewing basket. I added a Scissor Brad next to the spool of thread, and finished off with a cute sewing machine sticker from my stash.


There are lots of other puns that would work well with these brads, such as, "Miss You SEW Much", "Hope Your Birthday is SEW Happy" or "You Are SEW Awesome" so I'm pretty sure you'll see me revisiting this idea again in future!


Hope you've enjoyed this SEW much that you'll stop back again tomorrow to see what new ideas my design team sisters have to inspire you! ♥

can be found here each Wednesday, 
and on her own blog the rest of the week!

1 comment: